View Single Post
      03-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
I disagree big time. It is more than a navigation screen, it is really a command center, and I think in the future, every car will have a large screen command center of sorts.

I consider the current day built-in navigation systems to be the fist generation automobile command centers. In the future, I think the command centers will include internet access, real-time navigation, Google Earth and the ability to control every electronic device imaginable, from cell phones, to garage door openers to interior house lights.

I have the opposite outlook that you do. IMO, no car will be without these command centers in 10 years.
But why would you want to integrate all of this in a car when most of it is already available in a cellphone? I think you are correct in the assumption that the automobile will have a "command center" but why does the software/hardware need to be built in? We are already using bluetooth to integrate with the addressbook in our cellphones. Think about it, move from car to car and keep your favorite POIs, seating positions, internet favorites, favorite radio stations, ect.. Ideally the "command center" would be a "dumb" screen that simply pulls info from a cellphone like device. Also, I'd rather use the iPhone UI than the iDrive UI.

This is all future speak, and hopefully the "command center" moves in this direction and doesn't limit us by being "car specific".

I guess I just don't see much value in the current iteration of "command centers".