View Single Post
      01-08-2024, 06:56 PM   #1
TheGnarlyGonzo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48)

Unhappy Overextended Rear Caliper Pistons/Activated EPB Without Brake Pads (How F'd Am I)

I decided to replace the front and rear brake pads and rotors on my F48 for the second time, as I just hit 75k miles when the rear sensor got flagged.

I replaced the front rotors and brake pads without issue. The first time I replaced my rear brake pads and rotors, I removed the Parking Brake Actuator cover and manually retracted the piston. This time, I opted to use the scanner I had purchased, thinking I could simply retract them using the scanner when ready to install the new pads. Boy, was I wrong.

The pistons overextended, started leaking brake fluid everywhere, and the driver side's caliper piston dust cover was definitely torn. As a last-ditch effort, I removed the Parking Brake Actuator cover and tried to manually retract it by turning it clockwise. It partially worked but was also getting stuck. The best way I could describe it is that it felt like the piston was 'off-track.' I regretfully think I forced it clockwise when it was done and potentially stripped the internal mechanism.

Given these issues, I'm not sure where to go from here. I feel I'm a bit out of my depth but I'm willing to keep trying to remediate the situation myself before bringing it to a shop. I have a background in aircraft structures/mx, although I'm 4 years out of practice and am used to having exact technical orders to follow step-by-step.

I know at the very least I'll have to flush and do a brake fluid change. However, I'm unsure how to proceed with replacing the Brake Caliper Piston Boot (I found the part on FCPEuro), or whether I need to rebuild the caliper or replace the Actuator if an internal mechanism was indeed stripped.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Pictures are attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0