09-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
I would beg to differ. but 1st i cant blame sports analysis for making decisions based on science and facts. When millions of dollars are on the line, you want every edge you can get. I think the one thing that ruined sports is Money. It all boils down to Money. From super contracts, to new stadiums, to new marketing, its all about money.

Example 1) Sports organizations/owners/investors wanting to "protect their product" by introducing rules to take away the physicality and randomness of the game. This means the star player is less likely to get hurt because everything is now a foul. (cough cough Tom Brady, cough cough Lebron, cough cough Neymar)

Example 2) Super contracts make it tough for any other team to compete. If you have the money to bring in the best talent every year and consistently put out super teams, how can smaller teams/clubs compete? Yes every now and then a minnow makes a good run, but from a results standpoint the team with the better/more expensive players win more often. Look at all the past dynasties (cough cough Man City, Chel$ea, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern cough cough NYY, LAD, SFG, BRS, Cough cough LAL, GSW, BC)

Example 4) Because the players are being paid so much now, they are less likely to take risks such as playing for their national team or in tournaments that aren't deemed the best tournament.

Example 3) Lastly its ruining the youth aspect as well. Its becoming increasingly more expensive to play a sport in the US. This shuts out a lot of kids who's families don't have a lot of money to buy all the equipment, to drive them to the game, to pay for injuries should they happen, to be able to take off work and help out, to contact coaches and schedule recruiters to come see their kid play. You either have the wealthy who are more likely to play sports, and the underprivileged, who are less likely to play sports nowadays. Not to mention now all the toxic parents that feel their uncoordinated little billy or suzy needs to play over the talented jason or amanda because they donate more money to the team.

Yeah i feel it all boils down to Money and its driving force to acquire more of it. But again i get it. The more money you make the better equipment you can buy, the more money you make the better talent you can acquire, the more money you make the more people you can reach through marketing, the more money you make the quality of everything just raises.
You should get that cough checked out

Also 3 comes before 4.

Jokes aside, I don't disagree with you. That's another angle to consider and impacts the overall operations of the sport. The analytics that I'm talking about directly impact the action that's happening during gameplay.

There's a lot of things that are ruining sports - money, as you say, might be one of them. Lack of emotion is another (and that's actively discouraged through the handing out of technical fouls for things like slapping the backboard or just showing too much emotion in general... remember when Mutombo's famous finger wave was outlawed?). Analytics turning the game into a math equation and minimizing the randomness of it is another.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0