View Single Post
      08-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #99
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I own my home because to rent something in a similar neighborhood would cost me about the same that I spend in interest and taxes on my house. The extra money I spend is essentially going towards some maintenance and equity.

My home is 100% a liability, because it takes money out of my pocket every month but if I rented a home, that wouldn't change either. The way I see it is that I'm paying to be the boss and decision maker about things in my home. If I want to change, customize or upgrade something, at least I'll retain some of that expense and increase value in something that is mine.

Property values also tend to trend up which means over time, I will gain more equity in the home without necessarily doing anything. I don't think that gain would ever negate the interest and taxes that I'd pay over the same span but maybe it will be close to a wash?

In addition, my home was also a fixer upper so I got a very attractive price on my house paired against comps in the neighborhood. I'm very handy so most of the repairs and upgrades I made to modernize my house cost me time which I performed at my leisure.