11-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpedge View Post
Anyone opted for the towbar on the new X3? I'm guessing that roof mounted bikes on the M40i is not going to be great for fuel economy. Fitting bikes to the roof of my Q5 is a bit of a pain so I'm thinking the factory fitted towbar to mount the bikes on the back. I will then also have an option to use a bike trailer to cart the motorbike to track days.

Does the towbar fold out of the way when not in use and does having it fitted result in a loss of an add on (I've not gone for the foot waggle boot opening system) possible loss of boot 12v supply (if there is one?).
I ordered it but do not have my car yet (and won't get it until probably the end of the month). The only clue as to how it will look is from a pic from another thread in this forum showing some accessories for the new X3, including a bike rack. If you look at this picture, it looks like it is just built into the bottom part of the bumper, so there is no folding out of the way. It just sticks out a bit, and the bike rack bar seems to insert right into it.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...lg=542&slide=4

I have been trying to find out if this disables the foot waggle sensor (I had heard in the past that the dealer installed option did), but the way it is designed I am hoping it does not. The dealer installed BMW OEM one seems to come from under the bumper (so I can see it interfering) whereas this factory installed one seems to come out from the bumper itself.

My intention is to use it for a bike rack. I don't think anyone here who ordered the hitch has received their X3 yet. I am glad that they finally have a factory installed option for this. I was getting quotes from BMW dealers for the dealer installed option to around the $1500-$2000 when I was looking for one for my current X3 (never did it). The factory option is just $550 here in the US.
Appreciate 0