View Single Post
      09-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Sometimes as I read these posts it seems so hard to get more HP out of our 3 ltr, 93, E85mix, 99 etc. the M3/4 runs a 3 ltr and comes with 425hp....you would think we could get more and still only have to run 91/93 like they do.
I am about to jump into the mod game for the first time.....just trying to read and learn.
What is the expectation we can squeeze out of the 235 and still just roll up to the pump, no race gas, meth, mix etc

Not trying to be a tool....just thinking out loud
The thing is it appears that BMW underrated our cars at 320hp as from what I have seen on this forum most stock dyno's come in at 290-310 whp. Meaning that the true crank hp number, once accounting for say, a 15% drivetrain loss would be more like 350 hp. What I have seen people pick-up from a JB4 with stock components has been about 30-60 whp depending on the map. So, I think the car in stock form should be good for 400-420 hp at the crank which gets it pretty much to M4 level. However, the M4 apparently is also underrated so a stock car on a good tune would be approaching but still just under M4 levels. I hate HP numbers. 1/4 mile is a better indication of how fast a car actually is. A stock car with only a tune should be able to land a 1/4 mile in the mid to low 12 second range by my calculations. The new M3 does it in 12.1 seconds according to car and driver. Compare that to other high horsepower cars and you will see that the M235i makes good use of its power.

EDIT: when I say stock components, I also mean pump gas
Appreciate 0