View Single Post
      12-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #165
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I think it’s all programming. If it’s happening across platforms and with dct, aisin, and zf trans then it’s not a mechanical problem.
I tend to agree with this thought. It wouldn't surprise me if it's essentially tied to an extreme effort to "make the numbers" on both fuel economy and emissions certification testing. If driveability has to suffer and 95+% of customers are clueless, I don't think they care. Especially when someone complains and is told "it's normal, they all do it", and they buy the excuse that it's them not the car. It's those of us who want the car to perform like it truly should who go nuts over stuff like this...especially engineers and like-minded people who know it's fixable -- like my wife who refuses to get any new BMW without a 6MT where you can control throttle and transmission like you want.

Now we're stuck since we want to replace the E91 with an F31 or possibly X2 M35i or even an X3/X4 M40i. I've even read in a number of reviews of the X3M and X4M about delay at slow speeds which is being blamed on the S58 when of course it's probably a similar programming issue (to meet max fuel economy and min emission numbers).

Bold statement: "There will be no "fix" for this "problem"." I say that since it's probable the car would require EPA emission and fuel economy re-certification. I'm not sure what level of tweaks they can do without re-cert. That said, I know on the E9x M3 there were a number of DME updates for the S65 that didn't require such, but then again that was a decade ago now. Hence I would love to be completely wrong about this and BMW releases updates for all these models that provides smooth and responsive on-demand engine/transmission response in these slow-speed situations.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1