06-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #20
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 823BMW View Post
I'm disappointed in the optional collision mitigation system performance:

"In the track tests at 12 mph, impact speed was reduced by an average of 10 mph. In the 25 mph test, impact speed was reduced by 7 mph."

This kind of performance is behind the times. The Toyota safety sense P system on the 2016 RAV4 and the Honda sensing system on the 2016 CRV can completely avoid both a 12 mph and 25 mph collision in IIHS testing. BMW has an optional system (when also combined with the optional adaptive cruise control) on the X5 and the 5 series that can perform as well. Why did they not carry lessons from the X5 and 5 to the X1? Toyota and Honda have figured out how to do it. People may contend that this is not a priority on an 'ultimate driving machine', but without it, you cannot achieve a IIHS TSP+ rating. Also the EuroNCAP crash testing looks for these systems in their ratings -- it's not just the US. These systems are the next safety step and BMW can do better.
The system in the X1 is entirely camera-based, whereas I believe the X5 and 5 are radar- AND camera-based. Likely the reason for the poor performance. I would certainly feel short-changed if I had opted for that package. I do feel short-changed with the NAV system...it does not contain the same features as the 3 series, etc. despite carrying the same price tag (in the US).
Past: 1999 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0