04-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #41
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I hate the idea of paying for these “services” which really undermine the idea of security anyway since they are so easy to get.

Most of my flying was before 9-11 so I’ve never really liked or appreciated the TSA approach, which I think benefits the airlines (which never liked holding planes for late passengers, for example) but doesn’t do much for security. If it did, we’d use it for busses and trains, too.

So many aspects of air travel have deteriorated over the decades that my driving radius has increased substantially - from about 2 hours to 9-10. Now that I’m retired, it is possible my only air travel will be emergency (funeral) and overseas vacations. Its not just TSA, but also legroom, crap food, narrow seats, dirty planes, lack of seating in the gate area, all the wasted waiting time, etc.
I agree with you although I don't mind flying, meaning the actual in-the-air part. It's the process of getting on the plane that I could do without. I'm one of those guys that is almost always "randomly selected" for additional screening, easily 90% of the time. Once I'm on the plane and we start pushing back from the gate I'm good. That being said I still prefer to drive reasonable distances rather than fly. I routinely drive from Halifax to Toronto for concerts and to visit friends. It's about 1800km one way and I've done it in just under 15hrs. Most people would not consider that a reasonable distance but it really depends on how much you enjoy driving. I've decided that's about my limit though. I've driven from Halifax to Edmonton with a friend non-stop once and from Fort Lauderdale to Halifax non-stop alone once. I wouldn't want to do either of those trips again.