View Single Post
      04-13-2021, 06:59 AM   #39
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Having status definitely pays dividends when traveling. Ever since I got TSA Pre-check and CLEAR I never have issues. I know better than to try and bring beverages though because they'll give you that "WTF do you think you're doing?" look for sure.

Getting Global Entry for international travel is nice as well. You have to go through serious background checks to get it though. I have a buddy who can't get it because he has a shoplifting incident on his record when he was a teen, or so that is what he told me is the reason he can't obtain GE. That is outrageous and I'm skeptical about that being the only reason.
I hate the idea of paying for these “services” which really undermine the idea of security anyway since they are so easy to get.

Most of my flying was before 9-11 so I’ve never really liked or appreciated the TSA approach, which I think benefits the airlines (which never liked holding planes for late passengers, for example) but doesn’t do much for security. If it did, we’d use it for busses and trains, too.

So many aspects of air travel have deteriorated over the decades that my driving radius has increased substantially - from about 2 hours to 9-10. Now that I’m retired, it is possible my only air travel will be emergency (funeral) and overseas vacations. Its not just TSA, but also legroom, crap food, narrow seats, dirty planes, lack of seating in the gate area, all the wasted waiting time, etc.
Appreciate 0