View Single Post
      11-15-2023, 09:18 AM   #58
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
To me doesn't matter if I got all the money in the world, out of these choices, it would be the Miata cuz I only drive on public roads and don't track. Some ppl buy for prestige or ego and that's cool but when even my car's too powerful for the streets, it gets pointless chasing numbers for numbers' sake unless one wants to break traffic laws.
I am all for the whole "too much power is pointless" argument, one of the reasons i don't really lust for a Turbo 911 or anything else that makes huge numbers. I don't think a Cayman though, tips over that edge, what it does offer is a bit of a kick in the pants the Miata just cannot deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You are comparing it to a bunch of cars though... that's why I'll argue $$ does matter even when buying a Porsche. I could have afforded a 718 boxster no problem, but for me the value for more than double the cost of the miata was not there. I personally prefer the NA engine in the miata even if it is slower.
We are in agreement that the NA engines feel better in cars like these. I have driven a Miata, fine vehicle but for me it just felt like it was missing 50 to 75 HP. I am not out to break land speed records, I got into an argument with a member here in another thread saying chasing 500HP was a bit silly on public roads. In the end, i guess this is why the Miata and the Cayman exist right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
wow you got a sweet deal on that 911 at that price 18 months ago!
Sort of. I'd say good, not great. Mine is a PDK cab so saved a lot vs a hard top manual. I also have a small claim on the front left corner that kept things reasonable with the price point and the mrs. I do regret not pulling the trigger on a manual GTS cab with just 45KM for $87K, I thought it was too much at the time (2019) but they now trade for about $120K. Counter argument is with taxes i have best part of $25k in my pocket.
Appreciate 2
baege1340.50