View Single Post
      09-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #154
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
This could well end up extremely close in price to the 4 cylinder Macan!! Anyone who would take this over the Porsche would need their head looking at!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
It's not necessarily cleaner. I don't hate the 4 cylinder, I have one in my 530i and it's perfectly fine. But it's not saving the planet.

The mileage isn't all that much better compared to a 540i in real world driving because you've to put your foot into it much more than the 540i. In a lighter and smaller car like a 3 series, the 4 cylinder is the right engine. Unless the 5 gets the more powerful engine from this X2 M35, I wouldn't buy a car the size of a 5 series with a 4 cylinder engine again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
BMW is deliberately detuning their 4 cylinder engines in G30 in order to sell 6 cylinder engines. The glove is off, other manufacturers are making powerful 4 cylinders with high HPs and low CO2 emissions and BMW is beginning to join them.

G30 is so big that current BMW 6 cylinder engines are not going to make it feel fast, but only make it nose heavy. It needs current 4 litre or V8 engines to feel fast as in M5 and m550i. However BMW can decide tomorrow to make 4 cylinder engines that would be more powerful than current 6 cylinder engines to power G30 if they so wish

Thus we now have 4 cylinder 7 series that is more expensive than 6 cylinder G30. So it is not a matter of 4 cylinder cars being cheap.

Porsche 2.5 litre engined cars have been beating M2 in both straight line and track comparisons and majority of reviewers would pick the Porsche over the M2. So the chassis plays a very significant role as well. Some macans are also 2 litres.
I love the turbo 4s as well, and can't wait to see some 2 liters putting out 400 hp in street cars...but you do have to floor it to get them to move the cars and get out of lame transmission mode. I've never gotten the advertised MPG in the turbo 4s except when driving downhill (7000 feet to sea level) on the highway from Mammoth to LA. I always got the advertised fuel economy in the N54 turbos. We'll see how the S55 does in this regard.
Appreciate 0