09-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #142
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
It's funny to me how BMW justifies switching to transversal FWD platforms to make the cars more practical and roomier inside, and then this comes out. Honestly, if it's going to have the option of AWD, it will need a transmission tunnel just like if it were RWD, so passenger room in the back seat will be the same. The X2, specifically, with its "coupe" profile, takes away practicality even further.

There's simply not even one thing that the X2 does better than the previous gen X1. It may look better (and looks are subjective) but that's it.

This whole move to FWD did not benefit the customers at all, it just made the cars cheaper to produce, but at the same time, this "M performance" crap warrants an even higher price tag.
Still the difference of a longitudinal engine vs transverse and the transmission not having to intrude on the tunnel too.

I liked the driving dynamics of our N55 E84, but to say that the new X1 doesn't have a sizable improvement on interior space either means you haven't been in both or just want to talk smack.

Now add the compromised X2 packaging and you do have a valid point. I'd much prefer the E84 dynamics to the X2, but we'll both take a big Mini or nothing at all, it appears.
Appreciate 0