View Single Post
      02-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Are "M" cars even special anymore?

Hear me out.

Back when BMW's M division first came out with the M1 (even before that, the Batwinged CSL and 2002Turbo for competition and homologation purposes), BMW's "M" cars meant SOMETHING. Something unique, something race-y, something done and sold only to satisfy a set of rules so they can go racing. While not everyone who bought an "M" special used them for racing, we all know that what's under the skin is UNIQUE.

And throughout the years, even when BMW "M" cars aren't created for homologation purposes, they still served a "purpose." M cars has been, since the mighty M1, the halo cars of each segment. The BEST version of each series you can possibly buy. E36 M3 is the highest trim 3 series. E39 M5 was the greatest sports sedan ever built. M5, M6es were all, during it's time in production for various generations, the BEST of each what each series represent. You can not buy a better E46 than the E46 M3. It's not like there's a ZHP trim level of the 330i (there isn't, by the way. ZHP is an optional package) where it's just a little bit more higher on the bad-assery scale.

Even when the X5 and X6es were "M-afied," they were the top level trim cars of each SUV/SAV model. For generations and generations of BMW products, the letter "M" has always stood for the apex/pinnacle model. Something special that each owners of an M car can always point to as having the halo of all halos of sport sedans, in each individual niche.

But not anymore.

M models are now just basically a high trim model of each individual series. It's not even top half...Those belong to the "Competition," "CS," and "GTS" models that will inevitably come. Say you bought an M2 2 years ago, put down an early deposit when you heard the rumors, arranged a $4,000 7 day trip to Germany to enjoy European Delivery so you can be one of the first to pick up this wonderful gem of a BMW. And don't get me wrong, a wonderful gem it did turn out to be...

Fast forward 2 years, and in 2019 the M2 Competition is now the top dog. Great, like most car enthusiasts I mostly hang on to cars I'm interested for 2 years anyway. Trade in an early M2 for the new TOP OF THEL INE 2 series, right? Halo car, no other 2 series is better than this. I'm secure in my masculinity and car-hood in knowing I've got the best of the best...Until the M2 CS comes out next year.

F**k. My original M2 is now just a middle of the road 2 series. Slotted between the M2 CS, M2 Competition, M240i, and M230 in the North American market. Middle of the road, with at least 2 models up above what I patiently waited 6 months for an allocation and a 7 days trip to the Motherland AND 1 day on the Nurburgring (fantastic memories, I'll bet). And that's not even counting the POSSIBILITY of an M2 GTS, because you know BMW will milk it for all it's worth.

At this point, are ANY of the M cars even special anymore? F8x M3/4 has the Competition, CS, and GTS models, and 3/440i, 30i, 28i, 20i, in Sedan, Coupe, and Grand Coupe guises. Middle child. Neglected, mass produced, and the "middle manager" instead of the superstar programmer of a Silly-con Valley Unicorn.

Is it special? I'm certain to those who bought it, yeah. I mean, I desperately hang on to my MZ4 Coupe despite it's middling performance numbers (for today's car anyway). It's special to ME. But to everyone else? Don't tell me that when you see an M4 GTS pull up next to you, you're going to think "hey that guy drives the SAME CAR as me! An M3/4!"

For years "purists" have been screaming about the dilution of the M brand, and today you have the proof. M cars aren't special anymore. You want the prestige of the M cars of OLD? You'd have to at least pony up for the CS models coming NEXT year.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 3