MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDK View Post
Hi guys,

Have anyone thought about just to upgrade the HU to an S609A instead of spending several hundred USD on this additional unit for an entrynav HU?

I mean the price may be a little higher if bought second hand, but then you get OEM equipment where apple CarPlay easily can be coded according to my info. And you need to take out the HU anyway in order to install the additional CarPlay adapter, so why not just change the HU?

Am I missing something or is this not a possible alternative?
Yes, I have seen NBTevo HU upgrades available for F48, they could easily come with professional Nav s609 (easy as fsc codes are readily available). The advantages are, fsc codes are available so Carplay, decent professional Nav, office functions, enhanced Bluetooth can be coded if not already included.
However this is not an easy diy upgrade, just look at number of people begging for help on E-sys and other coding forums. So, probably need to buy package, I think Bimmertech had them including new 8.8” touch screen and touch controller. Therefore biggest downside is price. Other issues are having to use donor VIN emulator approach (but alternative may be possible, I think Bimmertech solution does not use emulator) and finally losing BMW connected drive services and possibly dealer support in the event of problems. [so I would always keep old HU and other parts].

Overall if your car is out of warranty, you have older Entrynav HU and really want CarPlay, or just better Nav than the poor quality BMW business package, it is an option well worth considering. I think prices start at $1,200 (but full kit , HU, screen, touch controller and touch controller modelled is I believe nearer $2,500).I would be extremely careful just buying an NBTevo HU and hoping you can install it without issues, do some research first. If you have the spare cash to use a package service like Bimmertech (and others) then hands down- it would be my first choice.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-11-2019 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50