View Single Post
      07-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

ER 135i @ Redline Time Attack

So this weekend started and ended pretty much the same like last weekend at Super Lap Battle. We're still plagued with issues.

Last weekend we were plagued with oil temperature issues. At 255, the car starts to go into limp mode and we get power loss. At 260, full limp, no power. The limp mode would stay on for quite a bit. This was a major issue with us as we could not make a single lap under full power which was killing our times. So after Saturday, we went back to RobiSpec and threw in a makeshift oil cooler. We took 2 transmission coolers, tied it together and got ready for the next day. Sunday comes and we're still plagued with oil temp issues. Finally after short shifting at 5,000 rpm along with the makeshift oil cooler, we were able to do almost 1 full lap (first run on Sunday). The car lost power on the front straight, but it was enough to be our best lap. We called it quits after that as the car would not make another lap. Luckily, it was fast enough for us to qualify for the Finals.

We were also plagued with the traction control issue, but that was not as critical as Robi just needed to compensate for that issue.

Now, we're quite familiar with issues that the N54 runs very hot, so we figure we'd upgrade the oil coolers. We swapped out the OEM oil cooler and added 2 very large oil coolers in it's place. I was confident this would be enough. However, as a backup plan, we installed a Snow Performance Methonal Injection Kit (Thanks Matt @ Snow!) which they next day aired to us. The meth injection kit was going to be the backup plan as the methonal would cool the motor down a bit. We however couldn't take advantage of the extra octane that would provide us as we could not increase boost or mess with the air fuel ratio.

So Saturday comes and we're out at California Speedway. We're running 3/4 of the Oval and the Interior Road Course. Stephan Verdier is driving the car (Robert Fuller had a previous engagement with Mitsubishi so he couldn't drive on Saturday). Car is hauling on the Oval, doing 150 mph. First turn #@$#!!! car goes into limp mode. Stephan limps it back. I tell him to short shift it. He goes back out, again limp mode and limps it back. The high speed runs on the Oval was generating too much heat and by the time he rounds it and enters the first turn, we're back into limp mode. CRAP. Check the meth injection. @#$@!!! Not working. Check all the connections, power going to controller, controller not powering the pump. DAMN! Controller not working. Nothing we can do. I pull out the Split Second Turbo Tuner, hoping that with lower boost, he might be able to baby a full lap. That helps quite a bit, he was able to baby a full lap and did a 2:00 flat. Day ends and we take it back to the shop. Again, this was another hell week. 2 hours of sleep on Friday and now I pull another all nighter. Getting too old for this and my body has not recouped from last weekends lack of sleep. I rewire the meth injection to a push button switch which I taped to the shift knob so that Robi could push it on the oval. I also put the OEM windshield/headlight washer bottle back in, pulled out the windshield washer nozzles out of the hood. I then extended the windshield washer nozzles and wiring out to both oil coolers on each side to make a makeshift sprayer and filled it up with Meth/water mix. Disconnect the windshield wipers so that when Robi hit the switch for the windshield washers, the wipers don't turn on.

2 hours of sleep Saturday night and we're back on the track on Sunday. I feel like I'm about to die. Robert takes it out and short shifting it, he was able to do a full lap during morning practice. I feel better. Hell night paid off got 1 lap down, even if underpowered and short shifting. 1st qualifier, Robi goes out and does 3 laps, get a 1:59 on the second lap. 3rd lap comes back in. He's happy, at least it made it around and we put down a time that counted. He can easily go faster. He's pumped up and goes to his corner to replay the lap and how to make improvements for the 2nd practice. Tells me the oil cooler sprayers doesn't seem to be working anymore. I look at the car, uh oh. Robi went cone hunting and we took some damage on the 3rd lap. The crew goes on a feverish pace pulling the bumper and trying to fix the problem. No go, damage took the sprayer out. We hustle fast and put the car back together ASAP and barely get the car back together for the next practice run. Robi goes out and after 2 laps comes back in. Oil temps overheating really fast. Meth doesn't seem to be on. I check, @!$@!!!!!!! Meth injection pump is out. Normally it would make a constant whine, now it's interminent. Check the wiring, everything is good. Pump has gone bad. Without the meth injection the oil temps are uncontrollable even if we baby it around. I call it off. No point risking the car now. Day is over and we don't go out for the final qualifying times. At least the stress is over and I was finally able to enjoy the whole atmosphere. Got to chit chat with the other teams and just have a good time. Best time of 1:59. Not bad considering all the problems. Everyone's still excited. Both Robi and Stephan are pumped up. They know this car has it and confident they could easily done 1:55 if the car was 100%.

Now I have 3 months before the Super Lap Battle Finals to get this car at 100%. Due to sponsor commitments, we had to rush and get the car ready without testing. Obviously, bad idea. As for the oil temp issues, I am still unsure of what it could be, but I know something is not normal. Even if the N54 does run hot, all the measures we've taken should have resolved it. Dual upgraded oil coolers, meth injection and oil cooler sprayer and still overheating. The plan now is to pull all the parts off and do extensive testing to see what the issue may be. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

Lastly, we met the Berk Technology team this weekend. Very nice group of people and it was great having the friendly competition. It definitely nice to have the same car as a comparison. We chit chatted and gave each other pointers. Lucky @#$@ they were running 250ish oil temps. 5 degrees from limp. It was awesome just chilling and talking about the cars. Unfortunately for us, we were plagued with so many problems and lack of sleep, I was stuck in our pit garage most of the time and did not get a chance to drop by their pits until after we were out of the competition.

Berk Team - Hope to see you guys out there the next time. We came out on top this time, but I won't take that for granted. Come hard, we will :wink:. If you guys need the wider front fender, let me know. I can definitely arrange that once we get the carbon pieces finished.

We have pictures as well, just got to get them on the computer.
Appreciate 0