Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Whippersnappers! They have no idea how easy they have it. Maybe we should revert back to that technology to regain a foothold on our youth!
Can you imagine the bill they could run up at the going rate of $0.85/minute for airtime back in the day...plus the ground call charge!

I had a Globalstar satellite phone for six years a while back, and that was $1.49/minute to use with something like 30 free minutes per month. (My DW was doing field work in some pretty remote areas, and I would have gladly paid $25.29/minute if she needed help!) It was fun to use from cruise ships at sea, when using the on-board satellite cellular link was over $2.00/minute.

In the 1990's, we had a Skycell geostationary satellite phone in the One Lap of America car, as a sponsorship deal since we were running a huge press campaign from the road for a worthy cause. That phone had its own 800 number, and the going rate for satellite time was $2.49/minute. Fun times making calls from the desert with that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And rotary TV channel changers
Does anyone need tuner cleaner? I still have an old spray can of the stuff in the bottom drawer of my toolbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I was my father’s remote control. 2,4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 and repeat. Twist that dial.
What? No WHT on channel 68? How did you get your daily Uncle Floyd fix?

Although now moving into the realm of the old farts thread, I actually wrote a state grant when I was in high school back in the late 1970's to buy four blank VHS tapes for the school...at their 1970's retail price of $49.99 each!!!!!
Which means you must have had one of those baller $1000 VHS RECORDERS
vreihen1615278.50
cmyx6go15761.00