02-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwitten View Post
I've been searching for a while for a tech'd out replacement for our '13 Santa Fe Sport.

Almost by fluke I looked at some reviews on the '16 X1 and what stood out was all the complaints about BMW straying from their famous sport feel/drive.
That was exactly why I had not considered BMW in my search.
Comfort has always been my priority, even more so now, being in senior years. Lincoln's were looked at but eventually taken off the list due to size and lack of tech.

Until I drove the X1 today, Lexus NX200t was the only vehicle left on my list.

However.... The X1 in the Canadian market seems to only come with sport seats, with the manual thigh extension. I found it quiet comfy but my wife not so much. While the seat itself was "not bad", she commented that getting out seemed a bit awkward. I'm sure it's dues to the sides on the sport seats as we're probably just used to turning and then standing up.

My question is that with time, do the sides get appreciably softer?
Coming from regular seats to the sport, does one get used to them easily or is it going to be an "I told you so" for as long as we own the car?

The X1 would be our primary vehicle, meaning grocery runs with lots of in and out as well as occasional longer trips.
Hi there. I believe you might be mistaken about the sport seats as standard equipment. I have them as part of an option package but the one I tested did not have them. I have had this X1 for 2 months now and while the seats are super comfortable with the extensions for driving I must agree with your wife that getting in the vehicle takes a little manuveuring. The bolsters are quite prominent but do keep you in place around corners. I find moving the steering wheel up and away makes the process a bit easier.
Apart from that once inside...things are wonderful. Lovely interior and lots of fun to drive. The car feels very secure and sure footed. I found the Lexus a little tight inside and the price was quite a bit more than the X1 when optioned as I wanted it.
Best of luck with whatever you and your wife decide.
Cheers
Howard
Appreciate 0