View Single Post
      07-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
2013fusionva
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Failures caused by related electronic parts are covered

The "Shade Blind" itself is not covered, but the electronic / electrical components are... So if you can point to a failure among those components having caused the overall issue you may have the repair covered.

The "shade blind" is listed as one part, #54-10-7-391-798, but is actually a system of sub-parts that include a motor and relay, the shade itself, small plastic pieces that provide structure, and two metal strips that line either side of the blind that coil in and out and provide tension (prevent sagging).

The issue is that these metal strips are attached to the blind only via two very thin lines of adhesive (i.e. destined to fail with normal use). Arguably, opening/closing the shade blind in extreme temperatures (i.e. direct summer heat, unmitigated winter cold) could make failure of this adhesive more likely.

Any malfunction of the motor or blockage of the "track", or any issue causing uneven retraction, could also cause the adhesive to fail in part or completely (i.e. partial sagging or complete elimination of the shade function). Any failure of the related electrical components could also cause these issues and, in this case, the repairs should be covered.

It is also possible that the motor fails to extract/retract fully, causing a lack of front-to-back tension.

Unfortunately, the entire sunroof system has to be removed to replace the shade blind (or any of the constituent pieces that make up part # 54-10-7-391-798). Lots of labor hours and alternatively, an extremely tedious and ill-advised DIY job.

Reporting to NHTSA is certainly a good idea, as an untimely failure of the shade blind can leave it sagging/hanging and blocking the view of the driver while operating the vehicle.
Appreciate 1