View Single Post
      07-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Driver View Post
Do you have to have the windows down to hear the whistling? I had a 3M clear bra put on a few days ago, two-piece mirror application, and haven't heard anything as far as I know. Then again, I've been in the aviation business for over 20 years so it's possible I have a little hearing loss.
Short answer... not necessarily.

Long answer...
It still depends on several factors:
1) Wind direction (i.e.: crosswinds, headwind gusts, etc.)
2) Assembly tolerance of the mirror cap to the black rim piece.
3) Speed (45-70 mph with increasing whistling volume)
4) Your hearing ability. Driver's side mirror will be more prominent if the wind direction is correct. YES, you'll hear it easier with the windows down; however, mine is so loud that I hear the whistling with windows up at 70 mph.

I tested again today using electrical tape to cover the 2-piece clear bra groove... still whistles. Then I moved the electrical tape to the bottom part of the groove between 2 mirror pieces. SILENCE! No more whistling.

It seems somewhat random. Some people have not experienced the whistling (with or without clear bra). Some people HAVE experienced the whistling (both with and WITHOUT clear bra). I think the assembly tolerance is large enough to affect the aerodynamics enough to cause whistling.

Try it again, windows down, into a gusty headwind (at 45-70 mph)... you'll hear the whistling.

BTW, Robert: Did the electrical tape on the bottom stop the whistling for you? I bet it did.
Appreciate 0