View Single Post
      06-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysky View Post
Not yet, but they generally aren't as helpful as you might think here. Some service advisers don't know much. Anyway, I will give them a call anyway.

After driving home today, the electronic oil meter said it was > Max and said to get it checked by a BMW service center.

I checked the dipstick and it was about 1-2mm above the MAX line. Will this be a problem? Do I need to drain it ASAP?

edit: doing a bit of searching has gotten me a little scared about the overfilling of oil. Stories about how diesel engines will burn the motor oil like fuel and over rev the engine... Do these cars have auto shut off? I.e. cut all power to the glow plugs or something?

I let the car rest after I got home from work and now the oil is showing about half a cm above the max line.
Go get one of those devices made to suck oil out of the dipstick tube. For my M57, i always add 7.5L of oil and it has come damn close to max line on stick. I do as recommended for checking oil my warming car up with 10 minute drive and then bring home and park on level. Wait 10 minutes and then check. If you check too quickly, this would cause the overfill as drain back hasn't had enough time.

Ha-ha on the glow plugs. Only used for a very short time (couple seconds I'm told) and when very cold out. I've only seen the glow plug operation displayed once as I live in south Texas. Glow plugs wouldn't have anything to do with runaway.
Appreciate 0