08-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Just had both turbos replaced for waste-gate rattle. Won't go into too much detail, but dealer had car for a week, while I was away. Some issues with fitting, steering rack out, sheared cat bolts (new cats for me), and one of the actuators on the new turbos snapped, or something so they had to get another (delays). So they were still fitting them today....

My car was also in for oil service, as its overdue by a few miles already, but this was not done as they didn't have time?! I needed the car today, but i didn't find this out till I went to pick it up. After driving home, the low oil light came on too.

Now shouldn't the oil have been changed? They replaced all the oil lines to the turbos, but not the oil? Surely running new turbos on old oil is self defeating?

Is there a PDF or link to official BMW procedure on turbo replacements?

Also unsure how they ran out of time, as an oil change is not a hard job and could have been done any time, especially considering they had the car up to do the rear diff, seatbelt handover and a new wing mirror as it was adjusting to no mans land.

Glad to have gotten rid of my waste-gate rattle. Car is much quieter now too at low revs, but seems a little odd they didn't do this as either a service or a warranty requirement.
I had exactly the same problem, not long after I picked up the arms from you my wastegate rattle to my mind had hit worse.

Long short of it car was booked back into BMW under their parts warranty procedure, they agreed they were a tad noisy replaced both without a problem, but never changed the oilwhich really shocked me, I asked tge question thry stated on mine oil was within spec, oil had done 4376 miles and was in tge sump got 7 months.

If you get a turbo from Turbo Technics, Euro's, GSF on any number of suppliers then without a oil change, where applicable breather valve change and air filter most company's won't without evidence of these being changed will honour a warranty claim due to a turbo issue, yet BMW seem happy to run with 'the oils within spec' which is to me a bit of a shock, however as BMW UK are only warranty wise answerable to themselves then they write, uphold the rules, therefore unless as a customer you request an oil service if on CBS the car doesn't flag up the requirement thry will not carry out the procedure.

So tge you have it. So I drove the car back for 0.7 miles with an oil filter purchased from their parts department and had tge oil service done the same day as I collected. I got no paperwork for tge replacement as its held internally with BMW UK, but that's not an issue as I can get this with ease, but it's strikes me as strange re oil spec, age, mileage. But it's their rule.

And my wastegate have started to rattle a tad again too. But I've a theory on this, re vacuum but on the plus side car drives better with the replacements in situ.