View Single Post
      08-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #20
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Moving away from the warranty question and staying on topic for a moment...

As I review these threads what jumps out at me is that everybody is focused on oil and water because these are the two cooling mediums. For the sake of thoroughness, let's expand the analysis a bit.

Take for example jjlawyer's experience...his car would be fine and then lose power for a very short time, then be fine again. I suspect it is unlikely his fluid temperatures would change enough to make a huge difference in 30 seconds or less. So was that the culprit?

SG335...are you running Procede? Have you performed the boost solenoid bypass?

Here's what I am thinking...I had a 1989 MR2 Supercharged track car. The header was so close to the hydraulic lines that it boiled my clutch fluid. The problem was solved by putting heat insulating tape on the hard lines.

So is there some component in the 335i's engine compartment that is getting heat soaked and causing the cars to momentarily lose power...such as the boost solenoids? I know that the vacuum lines around the turbo are braided (as opposed to straight rubber). Maybe the heat is causing vacuum leaks? Maybe it is effecting some sensor and making the car flaky??

Why aren't we getting this under aggressive street driving? For example, during my recent ED it was well over 95 most of the time. My car was full of people and luggage, A/C on full blast all day. During the few days I had to run hard on the autobahn over mountain passes, I never experienced a heat related issue. Admittedly I was not running as hard as I will on the track, but those were still pretty demanding situations.

One final thought...what gas are you all running on the track? Is it possible that the computers are sensing impending detonation and reacting to that?