View Single Post
      01-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #40
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't know what other drives you have. I'm assuming the HDDs you're referencing are spinning disk high capacity drives. If so, yes, I would regulate them to 3.5" drive bays.

Not sure what your budget is for a possible M.2 drive which would dictate the capacity of it. I guess you could still use the 256MB SSD drive as additional storage. My ASUS motherboard allows me to use an SSD as a disk cache. But I don't see a need for it right now. I have a 512MB Samsung 840 EVO as the OS drive and the aforementioned Intel P3608 NVMe 1.6TB NVMe drive where I store all my gaming files on....or any application/data which I want better I/O performance. Adding the 256MB Samsung 840 EVO SSD I also have laying around as a disk cache probably won't help and I would venture actually hurt performance with the setup I have.

As I come into these high performance SSDs, I'm finding I have more and more slower SSDs that are just sitting around. I hate to get rid of them but I can't use them in any other systems I have as they're just too slow now.

I know tough problem to have....#firstworldproblems.
You could just sell them to me! Drives such as the 850 EVO are plenty for what I'm using the computer for.
Appreciate 0