04-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #522
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
I'll just leave this nugget here.

Back in 2006 when BMW introduced the Z4 M Coupe, there were about 600-700 VINs allocated for the 2006 model year. Car was officially under production in March. I placed my order at the LARGEST BMW dealership in the country (at the time, in volume not in floor *******. Was told, at the time, that my allocation would be one of the LAST for 2006, if I didn't want to pay a $10,000-$12,000 mark up.

Having never even paid MSRP for any car I've ever bought (and the Z4 M Coupe remain the ONLY car I ever paid MSRP for), I waited not quite so patiently for 6 months for my allocation to be built. Every single allocation nearly nation wide was spoken for in the first 60 days the car went on sale.

Suffice it to say, the Z4 M Coupe, at the time, I thought, was going to be a super hot seller. As it turned out, I took delivery of my 2006 in September of 2006. By November 2006 Z4 M Coupes were piling up at dealerships, with *MY* dealership having 6 on the lot at any given moment, up to 12 by early 2017. By that time, had I been patient and waited another 3-4 months, I would have been able to buy a Z4 M Coupe with $10,000 under INVOICE. A nearly $16,000 swing in price in just 3 months.

I hope the Supra name plate can carry this car. I truly do. But if my guesses are right, the Supra is going to suffer the same fate. Once those "enthusiasts" buy the first batch, no one else in the general public will. You're probably looking at a few thousand die-hards that will plunk down money right away, then maybe a few thousand more will eventually buy-in, but at the price point, there are much MUCH better alternatives for the general public. You can get an AMG GLA45 for same or less, with equivalent performance, AWD, AND capability to carry 4 plus more versatile luggage room.

Sure, it's SOLD OUT now. Give it 12 months and they'll be begging you to take one home.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0