Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN. View Post
BMW quality is a given.

Model 3 hits 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

And does it does 3.2 over and over again.

Tesla's slowest car hits 60 in high 4 second times.

BMW / BMW M better pull more than a rabbit out of their hat.
BMW is also conservative when it comes to 0-60 times. You can't use the absolute fastest time ever tested on Tesla's absolute top trim Model 3 and compare that to BMW's claimed pre-production 0-62 time. The official 0-60 time thus probably be 3.8-3.9 and I bet when reviewers test, it'll get closer to 3.5. Not as big of a difference, then. All for a fairly useless metric.

Also, the base Model 3 cars have a 0-60 of greater than 5 seconds. I'm not sure where you're getting that the slowest Tesla is in the 4s. I've definitely beat Model S cars with my Chevy SS and I'm sure I could walk a lot of the Model 3s I see around my area.

Also, the i4 seems to have significantly more range which tells me that the i4 probably has enough battery discharge to go faster and that either the estimates are very conservative or that BMW is saving a faster car for a future release. Or maybe BMW's motors aren't as good as Teslas yet.

Either way, I think you're jumping the gun. I think the real world difference in acceleration is going to be much closer than you think. The P70D is probably still going to be a bit faster, but almost surely not by a full second.
Appreciate 0