09-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Totally agree, what first caught my eye was the fact that these do resemble PAM's. I figured instead of spending $1X,XXX on a PVD PAM, why not spend less than 1% of it on one of these.

Tony, as always, appreciate your insight.
YW. Glad to share.

I think Lum Tec's watches are great alternatives to PAMs for just the reason you do.

Somebody asked me recently about Panerai. Honestly, I've never been a "Panerai guy," but I've long liked the look of their watches.
FWIW, the Panerai "craze" seems finally to be tapering off and the company seems to be shifting to fine watchmaking and leaving their "odd ways" behind. "Sly" looking Pams can be had new these days for something in the $4K - $5K range. That's a good thing for folks who want one.

By "odd ways," I mean things like purchasing a third party chronograph movement, shifting the seconds register from the right to the left and totally ignoring the chronograph functionality that came with the movement by not including it in the completed watch that uses the movement. Another example is buying a third party movement that has a seconds register at nine o'clock, and instead of using that movement in the aforementioned watch, simply not including a seconds display/hand in the watch that does use the movement.

I'd like to think that Panerai's management had good reasons for doing those things. If they did/do, they are well beyond my ability to grasp what they might be. I'm not saying they are nuts, or that I'm smart or nuts; I'm just befuddled and don't understand their choices.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0