View Single Post
      03-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #69
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
A couple weeks ago I test drove a Cayman. At first I just stopped to check it out for fun. I had driven a Boxster a few years earlier and really enjoyed it, but it was never a practical option for me. I assumed that the Cayman was almost definitely too small as well.

The first thing I noticed was predrilled roofrack slots. This means I can put a cargo box on the roof if I ever need to. Then the sales guy showed me a fairly large front trunk, and an even larger rear storage space. Why can't BMW make the Z4 coupe this practical?

Anyway... the next thing I did was sat in it. I was surprised at how much room there was. I am a pretty tall guy, and this thing had room to spare. This car seems to have a perfect blend of size and space. All the controls are very attractive. It has everything you want and nothing you don't. Starting it just requires turning a key like my old e36... nice!

Next I went for a drive in it. Everything in the car was perfectly positioned and weighted. The shifter action and steering feel were absolute perfection. I have driven a lot of cars, but the over all driving experience of this thing has no rival IMO. Driving a car that weighed over 700lbs less than the e92 335i really opened my eyes.

Before I had been telling myself that a 335i was the only car that brought everything together. Sure an Elise was more fun, but also impractical. An Evo was nice too, but the interior and image were pretty juvenile. The Cayman was a car I could live with day in day out and never need anything more. I suspect this is one of the most satisfying cars to drive at any price. I have yet to drive a 997 Turbo, but these guys think the Cayman is even better:

http://www.autocarmag.com/VideosWall...=222412&Mode=B

As soon as I got home I called my CA and cancelled my e92 order.
good luck with cayman.
though, i would save up for cayman S...(9grand more)
Appreciate 0