11-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
While everything you said about how the systems differ is true, your correction of the other (right) member is not.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/discover-bmw/technology/xdrive

What is BMW xDrive?

4WD, all-wheel drive and 4x4 are all terms that are used interchangeably, but all equate to the same thing. BMW xDrive is powered by an extra layer of intelligence, making it one of the most technically advanced all-wheel drive systems in the segment.

Both of you are right, but you shouldn't say someone is wrong without learning it first.
The article is wrong. Anyway, not first time when i see it.
Or, is a made up text to appeal to some customers, but is missleading and incorrect.

They are not.

Please you go and learn first.
Bmw doesnt have a second shifter, and it doesnt have any switch that will allow the driver to lock manually the differential.

Awd is very different than 4wd.. please read my very small summary.
Awd does not have a second shifter, doesn not have wheel locking dif, etc.
Awd is a generic system, electronicaly controlled that helps a noboy keeping the vehicle on the road under different scenarios.
4WD is a totally different animal.

Too many people mix these terms. For a chef might sound the same. For an enthusiast in a forum, these two should not be mixed.

I dont have them handy to show you two different windows stickers from two different Fird vehicles for example, one AWD and onw 4WD. First one had an automatic transmission with an o-deman, while de second one (4WD) had two shifters and locking differential that forces both wheels to turn and spin in aunison regardless of loss of traction.
And then we can go further with automatic or selectable lockers, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0