Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
See one of my posts above where I talk about third world infrastructure problems. For a counterexample, try spending a day in a city on either coast.

I drove a rental Polestar in Germany two months ago. No issues charging whatsoever: used a Level 2 charger at the hotel (a tiny pension in a tiny Schwarzwald village), another Level 2 in a nearby city garage, a Tesla Supercharger on the autobahn. Felt easier than it would have been in a similarly rural part of the US. Correspondingly, a high percentage of the cars on the road were EVs, with the main difference compared to the US coasts being a much wider variety of makes.

The US is being left behind.
The biggest problem with EVs is the lack of reliable charging network and the mass ability to charge 10s of millions of cars daily in the US. Let alone in we'll developed countries.

Think about a large apartment complex with 300 cars, not possbile. Never mind the ability to have enough power in the grid if you had a large area all juicing up in the summer. The power grid was never designed for the amount of EVs, yeah you can claim wind or solar but in the winter or got months when people are running AC to keep cool, governments and power companies will be like nah don't charge your car or will up the price to our downward pressure.

Current EV owners are all for it but what happens when the electric supply doesn't meet demands and the cost to charge isn't free? Your paying more than a ICE car to fill and takes hrs to do so. Or your not able to as the grid is over burdened and they are doing rolling blackouts.

To force all cars to go EV isn't the answer, neither is ICE but to have options on the table which use a few different technical advantages would be best.

Be it hybrids with EV range, ability to run more than one fuel source be it fossil or synthetic, and efficient both in terms of environmental impact and operational usage.
Appreciate 0