09-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #734
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I don't understand the appeal behind a fake watch or a fake M BMW. Who are you trying to impress? There are inherent functions behind those items which are not replicated.

I have a GMT and I'm still amazed at how Rolex is able to add the complication of a 24 hours hand into the same dial using the same running mechanism. The cost to replicate an automatic mechanical watch with the same function would be at least $500-$1000. Why would anyone pay for that or why are they making these expensive fake watches?

Similarly, would why anyone fake an M car? A non-enthusiast wouldn't know what it was or even car about it. A car enthusiast would know right away when it doesn't perform like it should.

I get it when it comes to fashion. A fake Gucci or a fake Louis Vuitton bag are just bags with logos. You can only do so much with vinyl and leather. Sometimes they're even produced from the same material smuggled out of the factory
I would never buy a fake Gucci or Louis Vitton either. You either always wanted one (virtually all are lower quality and you still don't have it), or you always wanted people to think you had one (not sure what this says?). Then someone is profiting off their name while making copies or the plant sends them out the back door. Like the fake watch, highly unlikely someone that knows what they are looking at would call them equal, maybe good enough.

I spend about 40% of my time in Thailand (normally) and there is a huge market for fake goods. With watches the retailers will ask if you want the high or low quality fake as they have them both. Pass.