01-04-2021, 07:15 AM   #158
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And what seems to be glossed over is the fact that these cars are not trouble free even with the minimum number of mechanical components. You skipped over the fact that the failure of the flash memory of the Model S' main computer will prevent the car from even running. And why this is so is due to the massive amount of data logging they do. Which leads into another aspect that has been kicked around here but many people really don't take seriously but give lip service to which is your own privacy. It's comical to see complaints about how the evil Feds are able to gain access to various aspects of your life yet these same people are willing to hand over that access to the likes of Google, Apple, and now Tesla. Rich did a video on the massive amounts of captured video the car by default records. Do you think Elan is going to let that precious data go untapped?

And none of the proponents of Tesla has even addressed the repair situation. Your choice of repair shops is extremely limited along with access to factory parts. Rich was able to gain access to various manuals from Tesla because Massachusetts passed a law requiring auto manufacturers to share that data.
So you added the flash drive of Model S main computer, anything else? I didn't gloss over anything, just saying what I know and asking what else. The number of serious issues seems to be small and this is from a new manufacturer rapidly increasing production. If bought an electric from major manufacturer or give it more time the reliability will likely be even higher, same with aftermarket parts and repair. Independent shops will cater to what the market wants, the amount of Tesla's that need repair, and their systems being significantly different will make this slow, same with replacement parts.

I just had my oil, transmission. engine air filter and differential fluid replaced on my car, sure wasn't cheap and wouldn't mind all of these items going away.

EDIT- the data logging is a complete different issue but I don't believe they have mastered it anywhere close to what everyone's phone is already doing.

Last edited by David70; 01-04-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0