12-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefarmer View Post
When would any of you buy a Tesla? What needs to happen for that to happen?

For me its when the price goes down and the weight of the vehicle goes down to be similar to gas cars. I have no brand loyalty for any brand.
I was a Tesla hater for a long time. During the middle of the pandemic I was bored out of my mind. My C7 was always acting up so I decided to sell it and get something else. Only thing that was of any interest was a Tesla... mainly because it was electric and I have owned most types of vehicles but never an electric one. So here I am with a Model 3 and a total convert.

Now let's be clear. It's a totally different experience than what probably most of us enjoy when we drive for fun. It does not satisfy my itch of a manual loud ass V8 which is why I'm looking to add another car to the garage. However as a daily driver and for what the vast majority of people want a car for I think it's fantastic. Especially if you can charge it at home in your garage I basically always have a "full tank".

I think it's comfortable, crazy fast in a straight line, which honestly for most driving on highways and FL that's all I need. The tech is great if you are into that and I personally don't find the build quality that bad. If you are not an enthusiast you would probably not notice a couple body gaps that could be smaller or not totally even etc. No normal person would notice. I also found the interior while super spartan was actual made of nice quality materials and the sound system is one of the best I've heard.

Would I compare it to a sports car no. Totally different categories IMO. However as an all around car I think it has little competition. Plus what does a base 3 series start at? I haven't followed BMW pricing in a while but I'm guessing it's similar to a Model 3 and personally... I would take the Model 3 ANY day over a base 3 series or frankly any 3 series except maybe an M3.

I also still have issues with a lot of things Tesla does and frankly I think their service is total crap, however that does not take away from the fact that the car is really fantastic.
Appreciate 0