Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
But wouldn't those losses also be just as easily measured on this type of dyno, for instance when coasting after the run? Surely the dyno must be able to factor in the added losses from the front set of rollers due to the rolling resistance and inertia added to the front drums from those components? Likewise the dyno software must also be able to detect the added rolling resistance etc on the front set of drums under the acceleration run? It knows the inertia and rolling resistance of the drum, and must easily be able to calculate/measure the added resistance from the front wheels?

If not, this dyno seems to have a major flaw when measuring any 2wd car...
Where do you see tire losses and inertial impacts accounted for any chassis dynos, be it 2WD or 4WD (besides the Maha)?

As I have discussed many time, this is one of the major flaws of chassis dynos.

Note that the same discrepancy exists when running a 4WD car on a 4WD dyno. While it is true that 4WD vehicles have greater drivetrain losses, the effect is exaggerated because all 4 wheels are spinning compared to 2WD vehicle tested on a 2WD dyno.
This is a subject you know more about than me, but I thought the Superflow AWD dyno had this capability?

http://www.superflow.com/Dynamometer...is/880_awd.php

SuperFlow’s® Road Simulation Technology(RST) utilizes heavy-duty differentials and a steel drive shaft to synchronize the front and rear roll speeds along with eddy-current brakes to accurately load vehicles according to their inertia, aerodynamic losses and rolling losses.
Appreciate 0