View Single Post
      01-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #114
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Hi, snap. I recently got Vgate pro and Bimmercode. I have 2017 F48 xdrive and picked up a 8.8 display off fleabay. My vehicle was purchased in the UK as a stock car so pretty much std xline spec. I modded the basic sound system by buying Harman Kardon tweeters and front door speakers, highest cost was new window surround trim to fit tweeters. Huge improvement in high end sound quality. After I changed first side I tested the system and it sounded like I had shifted the balance to the new speakers (well worth doing).

Anyhow, this got me started on upgrading things I was not so happy with, namely 6.5” touch display that came with basic nav package. In the U.K. they did have a nav plus option (2017) which I think was same Head Unit (HU) and nav software but bigger display and a touch controller. I bought correct 8.8” touch screen for my build date (08/2017) -part 8797400. After numerous YouTube views on removing dash trim (none on F48 but got general idea) I replaced screen and then recoded using Bimmercode. Interesting point is that my car has NBT and the coding categories were not exactly the same as examples online. I had to use expert coding for screen res and size , also found I had to go into nav module and change screen resolution setting there also. If anyone else is thinking of doing, it worked! ��
I also changed a few other irritating things, so reverse parking display now goes after I drive 10 meters rather than 50, I changed the stop start function so it remembers last setting rather than reverts to on each start-up. Changed setting so horn will not sound If door locked from outside with fob if engine running (not cool at 5.00 in the morning). I also changed rdc tyre display to give temp as well as pressure. Some of my changes were in basic mode but most were in expert and took some searching to find.
The screen upgrade worked well (screen only came to life after coding) - Only niggle is that on the idrive home screen it initially shows three icons (eg entertainment, navigation, my vehicle ) but then after about 5 seconds reverts to only two icons with a space where third should be. Looking at online videos it would appear that this space can have have couple of uses (almost like split Screen) so for example —> nav arrows. I think there must be additional code changes needed (or possibly bug in idrive software not picking up screenresolution change in all modules). I say this because I had to change screenresolution in nav module section (so three code changes so far) whereas some older online threads just refer to changing screen resolution and display variante settings. Anyhow I could not find display variants in F48 expert coding section instead we have size and resolution. I suspect there is another screen size or resolution change needed somewhere else to get full upgrade. benefits. Changing the screen resolution in nav module gave benefit of full map display which on 8.8” screen looks great. Sadly my hope for split screen functionality has not been fully met. The wider screen does give more functionality with additional info in some areas but not split screen in nav ( Thanks to Sticky posting tech docs, I know split screen function (assistance window) works in Nav plus SA6UP but whether idrive software change is needed or there are more fdl parameters need coding I cannot yet answer.) Anyhow if I can help anyone just ask and if anyone does know the answer to getting idrive home screen niggle to permanently show more icons (I.e where additional code changes need to be made, I will happily donate some $ in their direction.
In summary, Bimmercode works on F48, but coding requires full version, secondly basic coding options are limited and there are few cheat sheets for expert mode, and none for F48 (that I could Find but references to using F56 mini) I am compiling my own list slowly and will share in due course.
Finally, this is my first post as a newbie to the forum, so hello everyone. Mark (mje60)

Last edited by MJE60; 02-18-2019 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: More info on Nav plus - SA6UP (S6UPA)
Appreciate 6