View Single Post
      03-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Welcome and congrats on the new ride. For a service manual, check this thread: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1796005

Agree w/ rice_rocket88 about coding. It's a cool way to "modify" the car by, mostly, turning on or off factory features that may not be currently available. There are greater risks when making changes in BimmerCode's Expert Mode, but the posts here have been accurate and reliable for the 2 times I used it (activate rear fog lights and Sport+ mode).

Some general thoughts about DIY maintenance. My brakes wore out very early on, which were replaced at 25k rear and 30k front. Akebono brake pads have been a good alternative to BMW branded ones. Oil changes are not too bad. I had to get a T55 torx bit and 32mm oil filter housing socket to get the job done. If you plan on keeping long term, fluid changes for other components (e.g., rear diff, front transfer case, Aisin transmission) are also not too difficult. With a 2017, you may need to change brake fluid if not previously done (schedule is 1st time after 3 years from new, then every 2 years thereafter). Swapping bulbs (front, rear or fog), wipers and engine air filter are pretty easy. Cabin air filter is a different story as it requires a lot more work removing panels, and flexibility, than I initially expected.

At 44k miles, I'm still on my factory run flats, which I attribute to regular tire rotations and close monitoring of tire pressures. Also, I have not gone to the dealership at all except for the B-pillar recall and replacement of fuel vent valve under warranty. Only time will tell whether I continue to be so lucky.

For replacement parts, I highly recommend FCP Euro. They truly stand behind their lifetime warranty business model and have been very helpful with parts inquiries and customer service issues. Oil changes, among many other service items/parts, are essentially free for life.

Hope your son enjoys the ride. Browse the other threads here as you should find several interesting topics.

Last edited by Skyline2.0; 03-04-2021 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 1