Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I read it. Here's my position.....

....Unions aren't allowed in the military because it's......the military. There are reasons far above both of our pay grades that demonstrate why unions do not serve military personnel.

As for the bankrupting....

....you'll get no argument from me about that. It's true and it's happening all across the country. Do I think it's solely a union issue?!? No! Back when certain government retirement plans were drafted, things were different. Now, those liabilities are becoming due [as people retire] and its posing a problem (...which has impacted those of us with 15 or less years on the job; more so those with less than 10 years). We have to work longer AND with less percentages. Do you think it's prudent to have 60+ year old beat cops?!? I don't. ...but that's what we will get since the retirement ages have been pushed further back and the percentages are less, requiring officers to work longer to have a decent retirement. There is more than meets the eye. It's deeper than that article suggests and it's oversimplified. I don't want to have to work into my late 50's-early 60's to get a decent percentage, but that's what I was dealt when I got hired. The unions only have so much control.

On top of the issue with retirement, there's also the funding of departments. We run on skeleton crews and old(er) equipment (...scraping by in hopes the shit doesn't completely crap on us), but somebody needs to fund it, and that falls on the taxes in municipalities, counties or state taxes. We need to be able to operate. It's either that or deal with your own problems and don't call us.
Well we could call them the 'army' or 'navy', but having a union would still under mind the chain of command needed for the armed forces.
Sure there is more to it, but the article is much better than citing 'defund' shows on TV! You could search for that Texas lawyer guy....
Many NYC cops want to work in Suffolk because of the... high pay! What this means for, say, teacher pay is any one's guess.

Murf
Appreciate 0