04-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #120
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Don't the M-Sport cars have the same brakes as the OG M2? Much stronger than what's needed for the road I think. But as to the rest of the bits, I can't speak to, as I don't now what they are. But if the bits actually add performance, then M-Sport actually means something.

I think back to when, with Honda, "Si" was just trim (seats, badges, etc), and it was pretty sad. Gone are those days, thankfully.
Again, please excuse my general ignorance when it comes to the overall BMW lineage. I've owned just three BMWs:

2012 F30 (328i with very minimal options)
2015 F30 (328i) Sport Line (heavily optioned)
2018 G30 (M550i) Fully optioned

My understanding of what an M-Sport is, is that it's a package that can be added to most cars that is primarily an appearance package. Yes, it includes the bigger brakes, but other than that, no real performance upgrades.

My 2015 Sport Line F30 did not have the M-Sport package, but rather Sport brakes and a Sport mode for the transmission. It had a bit thicker steering wheel than my first car and some nice Sport Line wheels.

My 2018 M550i is referred to as an M-Performance car, which has all the M-Sport appearance goodies along with some added performance (the twin-turbo 4.4L V8 being the most significant of those).

Having come from a long stretch of Mercedes cars, I get the sensitivity of the owners of the top tier badges like M and AMG. My last Mercedes was an SL-500 with "AMG package". It was NOT an AMG car, but simply had a lot of appearance goodies from the AMG cars. It did not have any AMG badges anywhere on the car. This, is a distinction I find interesting between Mercedes and BMW. Mercedes doesn't use the AMG badges except on the AMG cars, whereas BMW is freely using the M on all sorts of stuff. It's no wonder that many BMW owners can't distinguish the products.

I'm sure the M5 owners in 2018 were livid when the 2018 M550i was faster than the M5 that year.

True M car owners should just relax and know that their cars are incredible racing machines. You have the opportunity to embarrass the "inferior" M-labeled cars at every stop light.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
540iSUP704.00