View Single Post
      04-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you run the Jb+ or stage one or dinan flash or anything that increases boost and you do happen to need plugs sooner, is that a big deal to you? Just throwing it out there as something to look for.

When I flash mhd I plan on doing plugs and coils first and getting the new plugs/coils running perfectly before the tune. Yes it's much more aggressive, but imho it's always best practice before a tune, and they won't last forever anyway. It's relatively affordable preventative maintenance. With these cars preventative maintenance can keep you out of the dealership in the first place.

You'll want to be able to clear codes with any tune. Look into Carly for your phone and their adapter. Just suggesting things you can prepare for.

My n54 is a hell of a lot more picky than these n55 motors. They are really solid. Do plugs and coils every 20k or so. Do belts when they make noise. Do water pump when you are sick of stressing it after 60k or so. I'm at 54k now rolling the dice under warranty knowing I'll be stranded some day. Or I can buy the part at FCP euro and now have a lifetime warranty on the part, and never be stranded on the highway.

Even with a warranty on my car, or the warranty on the pump from FCP, how much is your piece of mind worth? The only part worth worrying about is the water pump on these motors in general. It is weak. Better to just replace it and know the car is rock solid. If you don't do plugs you may get misfires and have to clear codes, but then drive fine again until you boost hard etc. Not going to strand you but not fun at all.
Appreciate 0