View Single Post
      12-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #52
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Just watched this. I like Doug, but he missed a lot of key points on this car. For those that didn't know, the SMG car is what the engine was originally built around. It is a great transmission for what it is. The failures of SMG components were mainly due to heat exposure. I had ZERO issues with my SMG. Shifting at redline with the tranny in S6 mode was one of the most emotionally satisfying things about this car and it THROWS you in the seat with each click of the paddle. The manual transmission in these cars was essentially an E39 transmission. It had slower acceleration and a dramatically reduced top speed.

My E60 M5 was extremely reliable. I did the rod bearing change myself at45K miles. The only issues I ever had were the steering angle sensor and the ionic control module for cylinder bank 2 ($97 on eBay). Of course if you look online, there are people that are going to voice their issues, just as we have issues with our M3's. They are not that bad of a car.

One of my fondest memories was killing my buddy's Gallardo in a drag race. I was once doing 145 with four people in the car and came up over a mountain highway only to see 6 bikers doing 125. We flew past them and the head turns and looks we got through their helmets was hilarious.

Probably the coolest most ridiculously designed cars ever and I can't wait to own another.

I agree. The issues with the S65 and S85 are way overblown. Considering shops are charging about the same amount to change the RBs as it would cost for a set of tires...just consider it a maintenance expense.

I'm secretly hoping people keep verbally trashing this car, so I can pick up a sweet example for my collection in a few years, though I'm leaning towards a E63 right now over a E60.