View Single Post
      03-20-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

UK insurance for Competition Pack car?

I'm having a problem sorting out acceptable insurance for a CP M5. I was supposed to have collected the car (an AUC) on Friday, but haven't yet as I've not sorted out insurance beyond the complimentary 7 day period.

On the web sites, I have a choice of the following:
  • M5
  • M5 30 JAHRE EDITION
  • M5 COMPETITION
  • M5 M PERFORMANCE EDITION

I have been selecting "M5 COMPETITION" and am being quoted around £1000 with £600 or more excess. Most insurers decline to quote because of the type of car, or the lack of tracker, some even want a nannying "black box" to monitor my driving.

However, I'm being quoted £395 with a £100 excess for a standard M5 with the same declared options and no tracker.

When I select the car is a Jahre, again with options, the quote is £475 with £210 excess, again without a tracker.

If I say the car is as the M5 with declared options and say it also has a 0-10% BHP increase and lowered suspension, the quote is £445 with £210 excess which is around the sort of amount I was expecting and prepared to pay.

Therefore, what are other people selecting? I want to make sure I'm doing this right as cannot afford to have invalid insurance, but similarly insurers rip us off, so I don't want to be paying more than I have to.

Is the "M5 COMPETITION" they list actually the competition pack, or is it another limited special edition like the Jahre and M5 M Performance Edition as this currently makes no sense to me?
Appreciate 0