View Single Post
      06-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

2) How reliable is the SMG? I've driven one and while it was fun and i'd still prefer the stick, traffic considerations here in Vegas make me want the SMG enough that i'm not waiting for a stick if I like the car enough.

Make sure it has the latest SMG programming, especially if you get an '03. There were a lot of transmission software glitches on early SMG models.

3) Warrenty info...if I recall the original warrenty is 4yrs or some miles...

4 years and 50K miles. Have the dealer CPO the car and ask the dealer to let you buy the maintenance warranty when you buy the car (over a 2-year period, the maitenance warranty pretty much pays itself). Typically, you're not allowed to get either extended bumper-to-bumper warranty or extended maitenance warranty if you buy a BMW used; only the original owner can buy them.

4) If the warrenty is expired, how much money can I expect to spend on upkeep (i.e. oil changes)

Oil changes are pretty cheap IMO. For a non-M, I pay around $70 at Seattle BMW. If the car's still under warranty now, you should look at its service records and see if its brake pads and rotors have ever been replaced. If not, get the dealer to replace them under warranty. Otherwise that's a $2K job (parts + install) out of your pocket.
Appreciate 0