Thread: Movado Watch
View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

OP, to answer your question re: price, it'd help to know the model name for that watch. Movado has a huge collection of offerings and I can't say I keep up with what they all are. I can see the watch is a variant on their Museum watch, but that's all I know. The basic styling of the Museum watch is a classic and renowned the world over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Rolex and Movado are over rated...

this one is probably no more than $400...

but what do i know, i gave up having watches since i got cell phones...
I'm going to respectfully answer you and say, "not much." How can a Movado be overrated when nobody who is serious about watches rates them highly to begin with?

People buy Movados for one reason: looks. There's nothing wrong with that as a reason. Movado are recognized and liked for the sleek, modern looks and at, they do a good job and don't charge too high a price.

I bought an Eliro some 15 years or so ago, and today they are selling for about $700, which is about a $300 drop in price over 15 years. That's not bad really. There are other watches one can buy for $700, but to get the quality of build and the styling Movado offers, one can't really do much better.

Perhaps Citizen has something that suits you style wise in their Eco-Drive line. You'd have to look on your own; Citizen make more watches than I'm willing to dig through. I have no reservation at all about any Citizen watch.

One thing to keep in mind is that Movados are often quartz watches and quartz is where one will generally find watches having one or no hour markers. To get that look, Movado is one of the better choices one can make. Indeed, Movado's look is mostly just theirs. Rado comes close, but that's a jump up in price along with, in several instances, a move to mechanical.

As for the watch pictured by the OP, I think there are certainly better alternatives, but I don't know of any that will be quite as sleek and similarly priced. The overall svelteness of the watch can be matched by an Omega Constellation, but it'll have numerals and markers on the face along with a seconds hand and a date. It will also most certainly be pricier. Seiko LaSalles (vintage) will offer the sleekness and will be a match for simple elegant design. Other major makers' -- JLC, Rolex, Patek, Girard-Perregaux, Omega, and so on -- vintage quartz designs would also be excellent choices.

If I were going to recommend an alternative, I would say look to Citizen or Seiko. Just off the top of my head, this Citizen would be one:

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0