View Single Post
      05-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #6433
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
@Humdizzle I generally don’t talk specific stocks. On the several discussion boards I participate, I have found the discussion to degrade when that happens.

What I prefer to talk about is method and process to find investments. Several people using the same process and method will arrive at successful portfolios with different holdings.

I am generally a fundamental investor, this fits my personality and career history. Buffett and Lynch are easy examples of fundamental investors. I analyze SEC reports, balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, investor presentations and analyst research reports. And technical chart analysis is thrown in for good measure. I take a lot of time before choosing an investment, I realize not everyone wants to do this, or has the time or skills to do it.

Guiding ideas for me:
- buy what you know
- growth and value are not mutually exclusive
- growth is good: revenue and gross margin growth are the core of this
- debt is generally to be avoided all else being equal
- seek to increase portfolio Sharpe and Sortino ratios
- seek to reduce price to earnings ratio and asset correlation within the portfolio
- seek diversification in terms of market cap and sector
- volatility is not always bad and might be the price of performance/yield
- in the case of mutual funds or etfs, higher expense ratio is not necessarily to be avoided if returns are there and the fund holdings fit your criteria as stand alone investments

Last edited by chassis; 05-18-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3509.50
Humdizzle6069.00