View Single Post
      10-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #122
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Health isn't just BMI. Drinking alcohol, smoking, base jumping, free climbing, driving fast, playing too much video games, getting plastic surgery, smoking weed, eating mushrooms, these are all as much a risk to your health as eating a hamburger. If people want to shame fat people, then be prepared to stfu if you are drinking a beer more than once a day, or riding a motorcycle without a helmet, or light a cigarette. We all risk our lives in some form of another, just because we choose to do it differently doesn't mean one way is necessarily more deserving of shame than the other.

In fact I would say that shame isn't really the best way to deal with people.

What if we go beyond health to shame people? Some people have already shamed people just from what state they live in. What if we start shaming based on wealth or lack thereof? Why is it okay to shame for obesity, but not something like wealth?

"Hey fat-ass, why don't you lose some weight? My health insurance rates are high because of you."
"Hey loser, why don't you get a better job? My marginal taxes rates are high because of you."

OR

"Shame on you for being fat and not caring about your health. You fat slob!"
"Shame on you for being poor and not caring about your wealth. You loser!"

Sorry, I can't condone fat shaming, just as I cannot condone shaming someone for being less wealthy. No one is perfect, and shaming someone for being less than perfect in one thing that we just happen to be better at is probably more about us trying to feed our own egos.
Obesity is a far, far greater risk than Covid. It’s not even close.

Actually, Obesity is the pandemic shielded by tolerance and acceptance. No one is fat shaming. You’re cruel if you’re the one constantly “you go boy/girl” for being “proud” of being 150lbs overweight. Everyone has a different shape, sure, but 50% of America is far beyond thick, pudgy, or could lose a few. These people are eating themselves sick and no one should be shamed for calling out facts.

Those people impact everyone with increased healthcare premiums and a general risk to public health. It’s a drain on everyone else. When events like Covid come along, these facts do worsen the impact, unnecessarily.

It’s personal responsibility to take care of yourself, but anything is on the table to fix the issue as far as I’m concerned. One would be to sack up and stop enabling these people who are clinically obese by cancelling everyone who calls them out.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 10-28-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 4
TboneS541043.00
zx10guy5149.50
jmack548.50