Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
My son isn't doing his homework.

Do I:

a) call him a lazy dummy

or

b) tell him I am here if you need help with homework. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, my job as a parent is to help you. I asked for help, and your mom asked for help when we were your age.

I know where you are going with this.

"Telling me I need help is shaming!!!"

I get it. We are all sick of that, but what is important is that we separate actual shaming from being accused of shaming. #2 isn't actually shaming, it's just that people are sensitive and it's a defense mechanism. I totally get the frustration. We can't really control how other people react to us, all we can control is how we act.

When I say I can't condone shaming, I'm saying we shouldn't be telling obese people

"You are a fat POS and a burden on health care. You need to work out".
Your solution "Dad needs to parent his son" excludes children w/o Dads. 75% of black children are fatherless. Your solution favors white families and therefore.... you know were it ends, right?

As absurd as the above logic is, it's not unrealistic, as we observe over and over again. Yes we shouldn't be saying "fat pos" freely, but evet just "fat" is considered offensive nowadays, and probably will be ruled illegal/punishable at some point.

Disclaimer: the 75% stat is fictional, but to illustrate the point.
Appreciate 0