View Single Post
      04-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
arisk
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

I think that is important for anyone to have an automatic AC, even more for a sunny hot country like Greece! Yes, but...

I have to tell you, that the Greek market for the used cars, is going from bad to worse!! The prices are very low, noone is buying used cars this period and many used-cars dealers are closing their companies. The financial crisis hit Greece strong and the sales even of the new cars is down about -40 to -45% than last year.
For example, my previous car was a Peugeot 307 cabrio full extra, which I bought new 30.000 euro. After four and a half years and about 90.000 kilometres noone showed any interest for my car, noone!! So I had to sell it for 11.000 euro, to buy my new Z4. A few months earlier, before the crisis came to Greece, the price that they were giving for my car was about 14.000-15.000.
The truth is that here, in Greece, only a little percent of the car byers worry for the resale value of a new car. Why this?
The answer is that, here the cars are very expensive because of the high taxes. For example the new Z4 sDrive23i will cost here about 50.000 to 55.000 euro starting price for the basic car. The same time, the same car costs in Germany 35.900 euro. Furthermore, the Germans are much more rich than the Greeks, because the "middle" salary is much more higher there than here.
So, when you have to resell a car that you bought 55.000, what will be your price? Maybe 35.000 to 40.000 euros, for a second-hand car, which the same time costs 35.900 euro in Germany NEW!! So if you are Greek and you want a used Z4 you will buy it from Germany... And if you are Greek and you bought a new Z4 you have to sell it in a very lower price than you bought it as new.
That's why the resale value of a car is not important in Greece.
Appreciate 0