View Single Post
      04-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #99
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I currently drive a 2009 128i convertible (e88, n52). I would prefer to have another NA I-6 but I cannot have one, regardless of manufacturer. But I kind of need the practicality of a SAV. A 3 series 4 door would be OK, and roughly equivalent, way to move people but the enhanced ability to haul stuff if useful as often as the ability to transport more people. I had a small SUV when I bought the e88 but it got old and I gave it to my son.

Anyway, I sat in a X2 last night for the first time at the local dealership. We were there for a BMWCCA meeting. I was pleasantly surprised. I had read the reviews about lack of space but they also had a X3 in the showroom and I sat in them back to back. In both, with the front seat where I would want it, the rear seat is a little tight for me but I could sit there. I am 6'2". That is as big as my last SUV was, roughly. I don't like big ones. Most of the time it is just for me and smaller vehicles are more fun IMHO. I sat in a X1 previously and I don't see any big difference in size. A key advantage of the X2 is it has sport seats in the base model. I have to buy a $2,500 package to get them in a X1. I don't want that package.

If I buy a new SUV (or SAV), it looks like it will have a turbo 4. All the manufacturers seem to be there. So I can whine about that or just accept it. I like rear wheel drive too but using front wheel drive is why the X1 and X2 provide almost exactly the same space for people as the X3. Do I want rear drive enough to pay the price difference? I will have to drive them first but probably not.

I was surprised that the M badge version has a 300hp 4 cylinder. But that is really no different from the I-6 at 450hp where it is in some BMW models. I'm sure it is fun but it seems like a lot of hp from a small motor and a lot of $. But I will look seriously at a lightly equipped X2, probably a two wheel drive (I am in the southern US where it doesn't snow). It looks to me like a reasonable deal versus the competition. Low to mid 30s list price for a upscale SUV is about what they all want. Another interesting wrinkle is the European delivery option.