08-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The M6 GTLM would most likely need some modifications to meet ACO regulations. ACO the governing body for 24hr Le Mans sets the general regulations for WeatherTech Sportscar Championship. IMSA then makes rule changes as they see fit for the American series. BMW ran into problems the last time they ran the E92 at Le Mans. ACO made them change their suspension setup to meet regulations, to match the stock M3. They were not allowed to use their double-wishbone suspension setup from the ALMS. Instead changed to front strut/rear multilink suspension. They ran poorly and obviously decided not to come back because they didn't get their way. They also were allowed to run more aero in ALMS at the time. I don't think BMW left on the best terms with the ACO.
Yep. The M6 GTLM, much like the Z4 before it, was a compromise car and is basically a GT3 vehicle with some changes so it can run in IMSA. It would need a pretty significant overhaul for it to qualify as a GTE machine.
Of course, why BMW didn't do this to begin with is beyond me as others like Fezza, Aston, Porsche and hell even Shebby have no issues with differentiating.

I really think BMW dislikes motor racing in general and does it as a token so customers don't burn down their HQ.