12-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
All this points more and more towards the relative tanking of the US release of the M3.

All this - No pricing release, likely moving the M3 too far upmarket compared to what US buyers and previous M3 drivers are willing to pay, no M-DCT, awful AWFUL interior options, MUCH stronger competition than any previous M3 has faced.
I think you have made some valid points. This launch is botched. Also, the EUR/USD has played havoc w/ BMW AG's and BMW USA's anticipated profitability. Simultaneously we have C63 / RS4 - no comps like this for the e46.

And if Porsche does - as I expect they will - bring out a more powerful Cayman S, then that's more fuel. I also saw a post here from an owner of a pristine M5 w/ ~ 7k miles for $73k The extensive options list for US reveals that BMW want to make a whole lot more on adding in 'fruit' - when in other - admittedly pricier - markets the M3 comes more as an all-in sale.

The US market is so competitive - and the M3 such an important halo car for 3-series' sales, that I believe it would be a major error in judgement for the default pricing on the new M3 to move up out of reach of many passionate e46 m3 owners and aspirational owners (I count myself in this group).

A low mileage used 911 - for me - becomes too interesting if the M3 ends up at $70k (with most of the needed options, I include edc, and m-dct here - speaking for myself).

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0